The question of the day is, ‘Do vloggers give enough in giveaways?’ Do vloggers support those to support them? Well, Amy Macedo is a makeup vlogger on u-tube. She seems to have been doing it for a couple years now and has about 356,000 subscribers. Usually the rule of thumb is beauty and makeup vloggers start getting the attention of cosmetic companies when they hit 10,000 subscribers. Cosmetic companies will offer to send beauty vloggers the coveted ‘PR’ packages trying to entise them to make one or more videos showcasing their products. This is accepted and a normal practice within the makeup community between vloggers, bloggers and cosmetic companies. When this practice is done many times no money exchanges hands. But, makeup companies do shower vloggers with many makeup products from their line.
So, you may be asking, ‘What’s your point?’ Well… Amy Macedo made a vlog called, ‘PR Blogger Mail Makeup Haul’ showcasing her PR boxes full of makeup. I’ve watched this video and took some interesting notes.
- Something to keep in mind… Vloggers do not have to pay for PR items. PR items are sent as an exchange of services. The cosmetic company gets exposure and the makeup/ beauty vlogger gets free items to review. Some PR exchanges are more lavish than others.
*Please note… The following information is an editorial article based on my personal opinion and observation. Products… Research was done on items listed to find prices. If no price is listed that means it was not found on the internet.
List of the PR products Macedo received for PR…
- MAKEUP GEEK Z palette large $20.00
- MAKUP GEEK blushes (4 blushes) $9.99 each
- MAYBELLINE Better Skin Super Stay foundation (3 bottles) $11.99 each
- MAYBELLINE SuperStay Better Skin Concealer $8.99
- MAYBELLINE Lip Studio Color Blur (16 colors) $8.99 each
- MAYBELLINE The Colossal Chaotic Lash Volum”Express Washable Mascara $7.99
- MAYBELLINE Eyestudio Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Pencil (4 pencils) $7.99 each
- MAYBELLINE Brow Precise Shaping Pencil (3 pencils) $7.99 each
- MAYBELLINE Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Gloss (6 glosses) $4.49 each
- MAYBELLINE The Nudes Palette $9.99
- Z PALETTE Medium black palette $17.00
- Z PALETTE Large black palette $20.00
- Z PALETTE Large rainbow design palette $20.00
- Z PALETTE Large light blue palette $20.00
- Z PALETTE loose pans 3 packages $4.00 – $6.00 each package
- VANITY PLANET Spin For Perfect Skin $100.00
- VANITY PLANET Replacement Heads for Moxi Pro (2 replacement heads) $15.00 each
- URBAN DECAY Naked Smoky eye shadow palette $54.00
- MORPHE BRUSHES 350 eye shadow palette $22.99
- MORPHE BRUSHES False lashes (3 packages) $1.99 each
- MORPHE BRUSHES NF – 10 COLOR LIPSTICK NICK PALETTE $19.99
- ANATASIA BEVERLY HILLS Liquid lipsticks (9 liquid lipsticks) $20.00 each
- ANATASIA BEVERLY HILLS Shadow Couture World Traveler eye shadow palette limited edition
- MAKEUP FOREVER Eye shadow qaud (2 quads)
- MAKEUP FOREVER Bronze Fusion bronzer
- MAKEUP FOREVER HD foundation (3 bottles)
- ELF COSMETICS Need It Nude eye shadow palette $10.00
- ELF COSMETICS Everyday Smokey eye shadow palette $10.00
- ELF COSMETICS Everyday Matte eye shadow palette $10.00
- ELF COSMETICS Matte lip color (3 lipsticks) $3.00 each
- ELF COSMETICS Studio Line stiple brush $4.00
- ELF COSMETICS Studio blush (2 blushes) $3.00
- ELF COSMETICS 11 piece Studio brush collection $30.00
- ELF COSMETICS Mineral Infused face primer $6.00
- ELF COSMETICS Studio Line blending brush $3.00
- GERARD COSMETICS Brow Bar To Go products (at least 5 packages)
- GERARD COSMETICS Highlighters (3 highlighters) $36.00 each
- GERARD COSMETICS Hydro Matte Long Wear liquid lipstick (3 lipsticks) $20.00 each
- GERARD COSMETICS Whitening Lightening Dial A Smile teeth whitening kit $129.00
- GERARD COSMETICS Lipstick (20 lipsticks) $19.00 each
- GERARD COSMETICS Super Booster whitening pen
- GERARD COSMETICS lip gloss (8 glosses) $10.00 each
Quite a list of PR product. While watching this video I lost track of how many times Macedo stated she was going to give makeup to family members. Which brings me to my main point. Why not have a nice giveaway for your subscribers? Why not support those who support you? Remember u-tubers are nothing without the subscribers. Without the subscribers there would be no PR, no affiliates and no free trips provided by makeup companies. Ya, that’s right there are free trips given to popular beauty vloggers, more on that in another post to come. Back to the task at hand… Now that we took inventory of the Macedo PR package. Lets take inventory of her giveaways she has done.
This is her first giveaway. You can tell she bought everything herself and tried to put a lot of thought into the products. You can see the video at the following link:
- ‘GIVEAWAY TIME ♡ Feat Too Faced, Wet n’ Wild, & more!’
Giveaway item list:
- SIMPLE SKINCARE Travel Pack
- TOO FACED Shadow Insurance Policy set
- WET N WILD Megalast lipstick $1.99
- HARD CANDY Eye Shadow dual
*Not possible to find prices for all items listed.
- There was a video done for 50,000 subscribers called, ’50K SUBSCRIBER GIVEAWAY – THANKFUL FOR YOU’
- TOO FACED Chocolate Bar eye shadow palette $49.00
- SIGMA F80 makeup brush $24.00
- MAYBELLINE The Nudes eye shadow palette $9.99
- TOO FACED Mini Deluxe sample size Better Than Sex mascera
- LOREAL Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara $7.99
- RIMMEL Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Pencil $3.99
- RIMMEL Stay Matte Pressed Powder $4.99
- MILANI Bella eye shadow singles (6 shadows) $4.99 each
- MILANI Color Statement lipstick (2 lipsticks) $5.99
- LOREAL Eyeliner
- ESSENCE Longlasting lipstick $2.99
- ALEXA lip gloss (5 glosses) $16.00 each
- MAYBELLINE Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer $7.99
- SLEEK eye and cheek palettes (2 palettes) $14.99 each
- SLEEK Full Fat Lash mascera $10.49
- SLEEK Highlighting palette $14.99
- SLEEK surpreme lip gloss
- ELF makeup brushes $1 line (2 brushes) $1.00 each
- ELF lip liner pencil $3.00
- ELF facial whip $1.00
- MILANI COLOR STATEMENT NAIL LACQUER (about 20) $3.99
*Not possible to find price on a mini size of Too Faced Better Than Sex mascera.
I have a question… What happened to all the 20 Gerard Cosmetic lipsticks, 8 glosses and 3 highers Amy got for PR? None of the 16 Maybelline Color Blur lipsticks that were dupes in her PR package made it into the giveaway either? In addition, all 9 ANATASIA Beverly Hills liquid lipsticks and all four Z Palettes went missing for the giveaway also. So, out of the 42 items Amy was sent for PR it seems few of those items made it into her giveaway for subscribers as a gift for supporting her. It does look like 3 ELF makeup brushes were included in the giveaway that were part of her original PR package. And the Maybelline ‘The Nudes’ eye shadow palette was included despite the fact it has gotten many negative reviews.
Is it right that almost none of the PR items were shared with subscribers? Is it right that popular beauty vloggers get so many products free and share none with those who watch and support them over the years? You be the judge.
*More Eye On Makeup Vlogger articles to come.